PRF-110 is a viscous clear oil-based solution that is instilled (deposited) directly into the surgical wound, and spreadable over the complete wound surface, to provide localized and extended post-operative analgesia. Its physical characteristics and composition are key to it being well-tolerated and its ease of use:
- PRF-110 is highly viscous and thus stays in place when placed into a surgical wound bed.
- PRF-110 remains within the surgical site when the skin is closed, without being toxic or proinflammatory.
- PRF-110 is easy to administer and its use is consistent with current surgical practice.
- PRF-110 is highly uniform and resistant to degradation in the wound, resulting is sustained/extended release of the analgesic.
- Ropivacaine, the active drug used in PRF-110, is a safe and well characterized local anesthetic.
- The components that make up the remainder of the PRF-110 formulation are classified as GRAS (Generally Regarded as Safe) by the FDA.